I am collecting and trying various recipes. Currently I am making home made fabric softener, and a food safe spray cleaner for my kitchen counters. I will NEVER buy fabric softener again! Why?
1. It saves me money. (That’s enough right there.)
2. I can control the ingredients, which allows me to eliminate the toxins found in the majority of store-bought household cleaners. Makes sense right?
There are many inexpensive, easy-to-use natural alternatives which can safely be used in place of commercial household products. Here is a list of common, environmentally safe products which can be used alone or in combination for a wealth of household applications.
- Baking Soda – cleans, deodorizes, softens water, scours.
- Soap – unscented soap in liquid form, flakes, powders or bars is biodegradable and will clean just about anything. Avoid using soaps which contain petroleum distillates.
- Lemon – one of the strongest food-acids, effective against most household bacteria.
- Borax – (sodium borate) cleans, deodorizes, disinfects, softens water, cleans wallpaper, painted walls and floors.
- White Vinegar – cuts grease, removes mildew, odors, some stains and wax build-up.
- Washing Soda – or SAL Soda is sodium carbonate decahydrate, a mineral. Washing soda cuts grease, removes stains, softens water, cleans wall, tiles, sinks and tubs. Use care, as washing soda can irritate mucous membranes. Do not use on aluminum.
- Isopropyl Alcohol – is an excellent disinfectant. (It has been suggested to replace this with ethanol or 100 proof alcohol in solution with water. There is some indication that isopropyl alcohol buildup contributes to illness in the body. See http://drclark.ch/g)
- Cornstarch – can be used to clean windows, polish furniture, shampoo carpets and rugs.
- Citrus Solvent – cleans paint brushes, oil and grease, some stains. (Citrus solvent may cause skin, lung or eye irritations for people with multiple chemical sensitivities.)
Equal parts baking soda and coconut oil, plus mint extract for flavor. OR baking soda and peppermint oil OR baking soda and coconut oil and peppermint oil
I use goat milk soap grated
Essential oils OR
2 c borax
2 c washing soda
1 bar fels naphtha
I grate the bar soap and put it in my blender to make a fine powder. Then mix all 3 ingredients and you’re done! Use 1-2 tbsp per load
Homemade Face wash-
Sweet almond oil
Homemade disinfectant spray-
Homemade air freshner-
Tell me about some of yours or any from the above you would like to try. As you can see these are all very simple and cost friendly. One change makes a big difference in your families health and well being!