Let’s think this through. You go out , have fun and leave your child (ren) with someone else who wishes they were not there. Sure, you’ve given them candy, cards and maybe even Valentine’s Day balloons but is that really fair? Naaaaaah, Not one bit. This year make it a family celebration of love.
Family where life begins & love never ends.
I’ll give you 4 ways to do it!
1. Make a pizza – together! Kids love to cook. If you are up for it, grab up your play group or friends and make it a pizza party! Years later , the laughs, and captured memories will be worth it!
Shape your pizza into a circle, like you normally would. With your thumb and forefinger together, push the top down toward the center of the crust to create the top of the heart. Pinch the bottom and pull to create the point at the bottom of the heart.
- 1 batch homemade pizza dough (feel free to use store-bought crust, but you may want to brush your grill or grill pan with your favorite cooking oil to help ensure no sticking)
- Pizza sauce
- Shredded mozzarella cheese along with any other cheeses you’d like to add (we sometimes add a bit of Parmesan and a little sprinkling of sharp cheddar)
- Toppings of choice (pepperoni, olives, sausage, onions, tomatoes, basil … the options are endless)
- Cut the pizza dough into 8 pieces, each about the size of a tennis ball.
- Stretch each piece into a circle, then shape into hearts by pushing in the top and pinching then pulling down on the bottom.
- Let dough sit for about 10 minutes to rest and rise.
- With the grill on medium-high (about 350-400 degrees), transfer crusts to the grill and cook until the crust puffs on top and gets grill marks on the bottom, about 3 minutes. If the dough sprouts any big bubbles, go ahead and pop them if you can.
- Transfer the crust to a cookie sheet or large platter, grilled side up.
- Spread the sauce on the pizza, add toppings, cover with cheese, and transfer back to the grill. Cook until pizza crust is cooked through, the toppings are hot, and the cheese is bubbly, about 3 – 4 minutes. If you have a barbecue with a lid, cooking them covered at this stage helps heat the toppings.
- Remove from the grill to a pizza peel or large baking sheet. Serve.
2.Make a Tissue /Paper Towel Roll Valentine-
You can’t go wrong with this one! Use this one for children of all ages. Throw in non toxic-lip gloss, earrings, gift cards. snack mixes, Hot wheels, cash, … just about anything will do. Since you can use either your toilet tissue or paper towel roll it’s even more cleaver! TIP: A lot of these things you can get from the dollar store*, or your favorite business. I’m sure they carry smaller sizes of their favorite things.
3. Serve Others together- Now, how sweet is that? This is the type of activity you do to build a bond on. After folding, sorting, hanging and reporting, if nothing else, your communication skills will have increased AND you will have helped a little girl/boy find something to wear to school. Maybe even help a parent find a nice outfit to wear to a job interview. You never know. After all Valentines Day is about LOVE. Love is also an action. What better way to show it? It’s needed more than ever these days. They say volunteering in the United States hit an all-time low last year, the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) reported.
4. Have a Party In Your Home. Just stay in an crank up the jam! Make memories that will last forever! Soon enough they will be adults and not want to spend such time with you.So while you’re at it, video them doing the running man dance and play it at their next birthday party. 🙂 Just kidding but if you can find a community party, go for it. Just make this Valentine’ d Day more than just a another holiday. Show your tiniest heart some LOVE! ~ QC Supermom
More Valentines’ and family quotes: