A protester yelled, “We Don’t want your children, You Perverts!”
After a contentious meeting on Monday, Charlotte City Council voted down the most controversial ordinance it has considered in years, a nondiscrimination proposal that would have added sexual orientation and gender identity to protected categories.
Wondering How did this proposal happen? click here
The measure failed 6-5, after a marathon meeting that featured hours of emotional debate and comments from supporters and opponents. Council members Michael Barnes, Kenny Smith, LaWana Mayfield, Ed Driggs, John Autry and Greg Phipps voted against it.
Before the final vote, council members had removed the section of the ordinance that would have allowed transgender people to use the bathroom of the gender they identify with. That issue drew the most vigorous opposition from dozens of speakers.
“All over the world, there are restrooms for men and restrooms for women,” said Driggs, a Republican. “It does not place an unreasonable burden on them and it does not stigmatize them.
Protester said “We don’t want your kids, you pervert!” …. Listen to it here.
Social media was buzzing with opinions!
Don’t do it Charlotte!
Should Christian photographers in Charlotte be required to photograph a same-sex wedding ceremony?
Should a Christian t-shirt printer be required to print t-shirts for a gay pride parade?
Should a Christian adoption agency be required to place a child with a same-sex couple?
No, of course not.- NC Values
Can you imagine the scene? Reports said that 120 people signed up to speak at the 6 p.m. meeting. They spoke, one at a time, for two minutes each. Prior to the meeting, supporters and opponents sent nearly 40,000 emails to City Council members about the proposal (See ordinance here, here, and here! )
- Mayor Dan Clodfelter (704) 336-2241 email@example.com
- Mayor Pro Tem Michael D. Barnes (704) 509-6141 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Claire Green Fallon (704) 336-6105 email@example.com
- David Howard (704) 336-4099 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Vi Lyles (704) 336-3431 email@example.com
- Patsy B. Kinsey (704) 336-3432 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Al Austin (704) 336-3185 email@example.com
- LaWana Mayfield (704) 336-3435 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Gregory A. Phipps (704) 336-3436 email@example.com
- John N. Autry (704) 336-2777 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Kenny Smith (704) 574-7241 email@example.com
- Edmund H. Driggs (704) 432-7077 firstname.lastname@example.org
I’m not sang that it’s right, but I heard that this done in other cities. s long as there is a family bathroom, I have no problems all.