Phew! Can you believe we are headed into the winter season already? There is nothing more pitiful than to look in your child’s eyes and see pain, congestion and low energy. Over the years, I’ve put together some of my favorite herbal blends for my family. Because they don’t always like my culinary creations, I try to mix it up a bit with power herbs to reach the same goal of a high immune system.
Kombucha-A happy gut is a healthy body. The main part of your immune system is in your gut, so keeping it supplied with good bacteria will help make a stronger body. There are a few ways to do this but a good probiotic and/or fermented foods in your diet like kombucha will help populate the good bacteria in your body.
Powdered herbs into blender shakes/Smoothies– ADD IN cod liver oil, collagen/ food sources of vitamin C with some berries, steamed greens and coconut water every day to make sure we are starting off on the right foot.
Soap -When flu prevention experts advise you to wash your hands, they don’t mean a light drizzle of water. As mama always said, use soap and warm water — and rub hands for 15 to 20 seconds. Sing the ‘Happy Birthday’ song twice while rubbing, to keep track of the time.
What You’ll Need
- A natural bar soap of choice. Homemade bar soaps usually work well and my other favorites are Dr. Bronners, african black soap, and Kombucha soap (available here).
- Distilled or filtered water
- A dispenser: Reuse an old soap dispenser, use a glass one or metal one, or make one out of a mason jar by drilling a hole in the top and hot gluing on the top of a soap pump dispenser.
What You Need- to do is:
- Click this link for the entire recipe and how to instructions.
Strong Tea-Keep things moving by drinking water. This will help stimulate your immune system during an illness because it helps your body flush the germs. Making the water into a tea is a bonus.
- 1 part Elderberry
- 2 parts Rose Hips
- 2 parts Echinacea puroporea
- 2 parts Chamomile
- 2 parts Astragalus
- Combine herbs and use 1tsp of the mix per cup of boiling water. Let steep at least 20 minutes up to 8 hours for full medicinal effect. Drink 2-3 cups a day as needed to support immune function.
How To Make Homemade Mouthwash
- 1 cup of Purified Water
- ¼ tsp salt
- 5-10 drops of Thieves Essential Oil (depends on how strong you want it)
- 4 drops of Peppermint Essential Oil
- 2 drops of Frankincense Essential Oil
- Optional: 1 tsp baking soda
- Glass bottle (essential oils can degrade plastic)
Getting our herbs and spices from our garden and local farmer’s market is nice too. Being able to grab Western medicine is easy. But do you really want to be completely dependent on someone else for your healing. Let’s be like the ants and do more for ourselves. It works!
This list, as simple as it titled, needs to be shared. – Hand Washing
Make your own laundry soap, and all-purpose cleaner . You’ll save money and provide healthier options for your family.
Check Out this HippyHomemakers tincture. It’s EASY to make AND she has a list of healing herbs.
Dynamite Herbal Infusions listed here.
Soap Making- Click here
In Total Wellness, Jabela